The Public School Retirement System of Missouri (PSRS)
PSRS provides lifetime retirement benefits for Missouri public school teachers and other qualified individuals who work for covered employers. If you don't have an educator certificate from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), you may be a member of PEERS.
PSRS is a Defined Benefit (DB) pension plan, providing predictable retirement income for life, no matter how long you live. In most cases, the retirement benefits paid to PSRS members greatly exceed the funds they contribute while working.
- The amount of your contributions to PSRS does not impact the amount of your benefits.
- Benefit amounts are based on a formula that is set by Missouri law.
- Our professional investment staff and managers invest your PSRS contributions for you.
- Financial protection is available for your loved ones in the event of your death before or after retirement, including a $5,000 death benefit.
- Disability benefits are available to members who qualify.
- Cost-of-living adjustments are granted on service and disability retirement benefits when eligibility and economic requirements are met.
In addition to any beneficiary protection you choose to provide through the selection of your benefit plan, if you pass away after retirement, a one-time, lump-sum death benefit of $5,000 is payable to the beneficiary you designate. You may designate an individual(s), a legal entity(ies), an established trust, or your estate. Your designation can be changed at any time by filing a new $5,000 Death Benefit Beneficiary Designation with PSRS.
This is a taxable distribution, not a life insurance policy. If your beneficiary is your spouse, he or she can roll it over to a qualified retirement plan to avoid incurring an immediate tax liability. If your beneficiary is someone other than your spouse, he or she can roll it to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) set up as an inherited IRA.×