Limitation on Working Part-Time or as a Temporary-Substitute for PEERS-Covered Employers
You can work on a part-time basis or as a temporary-substitute for a PEERS-covered employer in any position for a maximum of 550 hours each school year (July 1 - June 30).
If you retire in a month other than July, the 550-hour limit is pro-rated (lower) during the first school year after retirement. You will receive a letter containing your personal limit when you return to work as a retiree.
As long as you do not exceed the hourly limit and do not become a full-time, regular employee, you will continue to receive your PEERS benefits.
Limit on Hours Worked After Retirement550-Hour Limit
- All employment with PEERS-covered employers counts toward the 550-hour limit.
- Hours that you volunteer may count toward the 550-hour limit.
- The hours you work or volunteer as part of a retirement incentive count toward the 550-hour limit.
- Effective July 1, 2015 - If your post-retirement work includes time teaching at a PEERS-covered public two-year college, you must convert the credit hours you teach to clock hours in order to track your progress against this limit. The simple conversion is one credit hour equals 30 clock hours. You will receive more information on the conversion formula when you return to work, along with other information on how to track your hours.
- If you exceed the hourly limit you must notify PEERS immediately.
- You forfeit your benefits effective the month in which the hourly limit is exceeded.
- If you retire in any month other than July, the 550-hour limit on your work during that first school year is pro-rated.
- See our Frequently Asked Questions for detailed information and examples.
You might also be interested in ...
- Working after retirement for employers not covered by PEERS
- Working after retirement full-time for PEERS-covered employers
- Working after retirement part-time or as a temporary-substitute for PEERS-covered employers
- Limit on hours worked after retirement
- Critical Shortage Employment
- Volunteering after retirement
- Working after retirement record-keeping
- The PEERS Working After Retirement brochure