Critical Shortage Full-Time Employment Exception
The Critical Shortage Full-Time Employment Exception allows PEERS retirees to work full-time after retirement at PEERS-covered employers without losing benefits.
What This Means for PEERS Members
You may work full-time for a PEERS-covered employer that has officially declared a critical shortage of non-certificated employees, while receiving PEERS service retirement benefits. Your full-time employment may not exceed 24 months total at all employers. The 24 months of employment do not have to be consecutive - there can be breaks in the employment.
If you work under this provision, during the 24 months allowed:
- Your employment must be full-time.
- You continue to receive your PEERS benefits.
- Employer contributions are made to PEERS.
- Member contributions are not required.
- You do not earn additional service.
If you work full-time for a PEERS-covered employer but are not working under the Critical Shortage Full-Time Employment Exception, your benefits will stop. Learn More »
What It Means for Employers
An employer can hire up to 10% of the non-certificated staff, not to exceed five individual PEERS retirees, to work under this provision.
In order to employ retirees full-time under this provision, the employer must:
- Not have offered early retirement incentives for either of the previous two school years
- Post the vacancy or vacancies for at least one month
- Solicit applications through the local newspaper and/or other media
- Make a good faith effort to fill positions with non-retired, non-certificated applicants
- Determine that there are an insufficient number of eligible applicants for the advertised position(s)
- Declare a shortage of non-certificated employees
Are you an employer looking for more information on this provision?
You might also be interested in ...
- Working after retirement for employers not covered by PEERS
- Working after retirement full-time for PEERS-covered employers
- Working after retirement part-time or as a temporary-substitute for PEERS-covered employers
- Limit on hours worked after retirement
- Volunteering after retirement
- Working after retirement record-keeping
- The PEERS Working After Retirement brochure