Working in a Certificated Position for a Third-Party Provider

As a PSRS retiree, you can work on a part-time basis or as a temporary-substitute for a third-party provider such as a staffing or employment agency. If you work for such a provider and your services are performed at a PSRS-covered employer (school district) in the position of a substitute teacher, or any other position that requires a DESE-issued certificate, your work is subject to limits in order to continue receiving benefits.

  • You can work for a maximum of 550 hours each school year (July 1 - June 30).
  • If your certificated post-retirement work is performed solely for a third-party provider, your salary is limited to a maximum of $16,500 per year. This figure is 50% of the minimum salary set by DESE for a full-time teacher with a master’s degree and at least 10 years of public teaching experience.
  • If, in addition to your work for a third-party provider, you also work directly for a PSRS-covered employer(s) in a certificated position, your salary limit is calculated differently, based on the annual compensation payable under the covered employer’s salary schedule and your level of education and experience.

If you retire in a month other than July, the 550-hour and 50% salary limits are pro-rated (lower) during the first school year after retirement. You will receive a letter containing your personal limits when you return to work as a retiree.

As long as you do not exceed either the hourly or salary limit, and do not become a full-time, regular employee, you will continue to receive your PSRS benefits. If you exceed any limit that applies to you, your benefits will stop. In order for your benefits to resume, you must end all work that counts toward the limit you exceeded. You will be required to reimburse PSRS for all retirement benefits paid while ineligible, including funds in a PLSO distribution, and pay contributions that would have been required.

You Might Also Be Interested In...