Disability Retirement Benefits
If you develop an illness or sustain an injury that prevents you from working in any occupation, you may be eligible for PSRS disability benefits. The cause of your disability does not have to be work-related.
- Disability benefits are paid for life, as long as you are disabled and do not exceed the limits on working after disability retirement.
- Temporary or partial disability benefits are not available through PSRS.
- Disability benefits are eligible for cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs).
You are eligible for PSRS disability benefits if you:
- Have at least five years of qualified service for PSRS-covered employment
- Are under age 60
- Become permanently disabled while working in PSRS-covered employment, or within one year after if the condition causing the disability began while you were employed
- Are incapable of earning a livelihood in any occupation
- Are not working for any PSRS-covered employer
Disability benefits must be calculated by PSRS.
If you think you may qualify or would like a disability benefit estimate, please call our Information Center toll free at (800) 392-6848.
We recommend applying for PSRS disability retirement as soon as you know the disability will result in the end of your employment.