Purchases Based On Leave from Employment
You may be able to purchase service for time you were on leave from PEERS-covered employment. You and your employer are required to pay contributions that would have been made had you been working during the period of leave. Specific deadlines apply to each type of purchase.
The online Service Purchase Calculator does not provide accurate costs for these purchases.
Contact us or your employer's human resources officer for the estimated cost of these types of purchases.
Unpaid Sick Leave or Workers' Compensation Leave
- You can purchase service for unpaid sick leave or workers' compensation leave that occurs during the current or previous two school years.
- You pay to your employer the contributions you would have made to PEERS on your full salary during the leave period.
- Your employer sends both employee and employer contributions for the leave period to PEERS.
Please contact us or your human resources officer for more information on Unpaid Sick Leave or Workers' Compensation Leave service purchases.
Leave for USERRA-Covered Military Service
USERRA-covered leave can be granted or purchased.
Granted USERRA-Covered Leave
- Granted leave has no cost to you.
- It counts toward vesting your membership and eligibility for benefits.
- To receive granted USERRA leave, submit a copy of your DD214 to PEERS.
Purchased USERRA-Covered Leave
- There is a cost to purchase leave for USERRA-covered service.
- Purchased service counts toward vesting and eligibility for benefits, and is also used in the calculation of your benefits.
- To purchase this service, you pay the contributions you would have made to PEERS on your full salary during the leave period. Your employer also pays contributions.
- You must apply within five years of your return to employment after the leave.
- You can purchase up to five years of USERRA-covered service.
If your active duty military service is not USERRA-covered, you may still be able to purchase it.