What Employers Should Know About Working After Retirement
As a representative of a PSRS/PEERS-covered employer, you may be asked questions about the limits on PSRS/PEERS retirees who work at your district. You may also be responsible for reporting payroll information and sending in contributions for these working retirees.
Having retirees return to work part-time or as temporary-substitutes can be beneficial for both your school district and the retiree. Keep in mind:
- If the retiree did not properly terminate pre-retirement employment, he or she is not eligible to retire and receive benefits.
- If the retiree exceeds the limits on post-retirement work, his or her benefits are not payable.
- if a disability retiree who is age 60 or older exceeds the limits on post-retirement work, his or her benefits are not payable.
- A disability retiree who has not yet reached age 60 cannot work for a PSRS/PEERS-covered employer and continue to receive disability benefits at the same time.
You can help ensure that the retired members working at your school district don't jeopardize their retirement benefits by having a basic understanding of the termination regulation and the limits on working after retirement.
Get a Working After Retirement Record form
As an employer of PSRS/PEERS retirees, you are required to:
- Ensure that retirees have properly terminated their pre-retirement employment
- Report all salary for all PSRS/PEERS retirees working at your school district
- Keep a record of hours worked (and for PSRS retirees, salary earned) for all retirees working at your district, regardless of whether they retired from your district
- Notify PSRS/PEERS immediately when a retiree exceeds the limits for post-retirement employment
You might also be interested in ...
- Working after retirement for employers not covered by PSRS
- Working after retirement full-time for PSRS-covered employers
- The Critical Shortage Full-Time Employment Exception
- Volunteering after retirement
- Working after retirement record-keeping
- The PSRS member brochure on Working After Retirement
- The PEERS member brochure on Working After Retirement